Sunday, May 2, 2010

Travel Guidebook




Just finished a 64,000+ travel guidebook, "Quick Escapes From Orange County" for Globe Pequot Press and await the proofs. Hopefully, there will be a little break, after so many months of intense research, travel, and writing.

Travel writing is an interesting business. I can't tell you how many people tell me they would love my job, stating that they "love to travel." But first and foremost, the emphasis is on the writing part of the phrase, "travel writing." The hours are long, and the work is tough. Yes, I'm on the road a lot, and I do meet really interesting people.

The most fun is when you happen across what I call "a surprise," while you're on the road. And I did find a bunch of surprises for the book. My favorite was "discovering" a ranch in the Santa Ynez Valley (not far from Solvang) where miniature donkeys are raised.

Here's the deal. They stand about 3 feet at the shoulder, and they're really affectionate. They love to snuggle visitors, and the owner allows children to ride them on a tiny saddle. And gentle...are they ever! And one of the really amazing things is that they love to play "tag" and "keep away" with rubber balls.

I don't even have time to get a dog right now, so heaven knows how I would take care of a miniature donkey. But if I had a chunk of land....!!

If you're interested, visit their web site at http://www.seeinspotsfarm.com/.

Come along with me on my travels, and I'll guide you to some really great places.

And visit my web site at http://www.colleenfliedner.com/ to read articles I've written about some of my adventures.

No comments: